Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Aspen Blue Ribbon Alpine Challenge

A bit belated of a post! During the men's Pro Challenge in Colorado a couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to participate in the women's Alpine Blue Ribbon Challenge in Aspen. This crit was in the heart of downtown Aspen with a course that finished in the same sport as the men's race that day, about 45 minutes before the men came in. Let me just say the crowds were roaring and rowdy in the best possible way. I rode in the Aspen Valley Composite Team jersey with other young lady racers.

We wasted no time getting up to speed and managed averaging 27mph for the hour crit. With over 50 starters and a small hill each lap, the speed caused riders to be shelled left and right. I wasn't feeling well, but did manage trying g to bridge with Alison Powers to a break that looked like it was going to stick but I never could quite connect with her. I spent the entire rest of the race just hanging on for dear life and finishing in the single file of racers in 26th. I am very happy with the progress I've made coming back from being off the bike for so long with my fracture but I'm sure ready to be back to my normal self so its hard to ever be satisfied.

The race was such a great experience and the community and crowds were so supportive of the women. People were coming up left and right telling me how that was one of the coolest things they've seen.I stuck around to see the men come in, ran back to my awesome Snowmass we were put up in, showered, and heading back to the great after party with the other women racers. Sadly that was concluded with a 5 hour night drive through the mountains to get back home so I could be in to work by 7:30. The whole event now feels like a dream...a really good dream. THANKS Aspen, see you next year!

Belated photo of Whitney working with the Pro Bike Center in Loveland on the computrainer

No comments:

Post a Comment