Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gimpin'

So as Kat mentioned, I took a pretty good spill Sunday. Seeming how I'm stuck with only one hand, I'll keep things extra brief. After a jaw-chattering and foot-tapping ER visit (my two, odd reactions to pain), and Kat helping me get some drugs, pack, and rewrap my wounds, I found a flight home the next morning. I guess being covered in road rash with a sling and a splint, you warrant attention, wanted or not. Some of the Southwest crew were awesome and helped me get my luggage checked in. TSA originally wanted to pat me down, road rash and all, since i couldn't lift my arm for the body scanner.  Luckily I dodged that too. By the time I got to my gate, I was the last to board and stuck in the middle seat with my oozing wounds nearly touching two dudes, neither of who thought to offer up their more prized seats so I could not ooze on them. Either way, my pain meds kicked in and I passed out...my mom picked me up and I promptly passed out for the ride home and then took a three hour nap until Zack got home. The next day was an Orthopedic doctor appt my mom shuttled me too. While my bruised and swollen hand is okay, my fractured shoulder is not. It's fractured where the rotator cuff muscles meet the shoulder bone. They are hoping after a month of a sling and no shoulder movements, the fracture will have healed enough to start PT and eventually riding. Assuming I heal, it's looking like my racing season is on pause until August, which leaves me with Tour of Elk Grove, Gateway Cup, and Mayor's Cup. It's definitely a bummer as I was really looking forward to racing with Kat all year, not to mention our awesome schedule, but I'm going to make the best of it. I can ride the trainer without hands, walk, hike, and do non-arm activities. I'm focusing on what I can do and hope to come back to race with Kat with a POW!


1 comment:

  1. Ugh, this really, really breaks my heart to hear this all. Sorry I haven't been able to call (odd hours I have been home this week.)Keep your spirit goin' strong Whittle! <3

    ReplyDelete