Saturday, May 5, 2012

Electric City Circuit

Today was one of the more challenging days of Speedweek.  It was hot and humid today in Anderson, SC and the Pro Women's field was scheduled to go off at 2pm and complete 40 laps of the Electric City Circuit, a loop around a big exposed field.  There was no ice machine at the hotel(strange), but I did find a lunch box ice pack in the fridge.  I borrowed the ice pack, stuffed it down the back of my jersey, and huddled with the rest of the women's field underneath the little shade available will waiting for the start of our race.  I honestly can't remember much about the race besides that it was ridiculously hot and at 3 or 4 laps in, I was plagued with self-doubt and wasn't sure I was going to make it to the finish.  When the free laps ended, I was still there thanks to my ice pack and attacked for a prime.  I won the prime and found myself in a 3 person move, but we were shut down pretty quickly and I focused on trying to recover as quickly as possible and move back up towards the front for the sprint.  I finished 10th in the sprint, 11th for the day as Tibco's solo break early in the race was successful.  After consuming lots of water and juice and stopping for a mini Cinco de Mayo celebration to refuel, I drove back to Atlanta to rest up for our final race tomorrow in Sandy Springs.  



In my heat induced delirium I thought these folks might be Speedweek fans camped out at Electric City, following  us throughout the southeast like their European counterparts during the Tour.  Not quite.






No comments:

Post a Comment