Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Whitney Kicks Off 2012 with Podium Finish at Stazio Crit

Sunday was a nice kick-off to the 2012 season with the local Stazio Crit in Boulder. I went out with the CSU team at 5:40 am for my 2:30pm crit (hello car-nap). It was a little drizzly and chilly to start but I was happy for the weather to warm up and be in the mid-60s for my race (oh and quite windy!). And, man, I felt pretty good! There were probably about 40 women there, which was a great showing for the kick-off race around these parts. The course had about a 300 meter hill, a slightly longer descent, and two long flat but windy sections. 


Someone pushed the pace from the beginning, but no real attacks. About 10 minutes in, two ladies went off the front and people started to chase. When they were about 5 seconds up, I bridged and went on by them (they were going to get caught soon at that pace). A couple laps later it was Casey Clark, Kori Seehafer and me. We kept a high tempo until the gap widened to over a minute. Unfortunately, I fell off with about 4 to go but somehow magically kept the gap between 5 and 10 seconds from those two and finished 3rd. It was a little bit of a bummer falling off, but I had exceeded my max efforts for the day (just started hard intervals this week!). Another month of good race-like intervals and some more training races and I should be flying for Speedweek, our team kick-off race! 

No comments:

Post a Comment