Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Beating Up on the Guys

Fort Collins has had some unusually warm weather lately. After months and months of trainer rides at night and wintry weekend rides, it has been incredible to go train outside in just bibs and a jersey. My poor, ghostly white skin sadly matches my half-white kit right now, but that is something I'm working on, one ride at a time. This past weekend I did the Oval Ride again (see previous post about the Oval Ride course). The numbers that showed up were pretty small- maybe around 30 to start, instead of the usual 60 or so (there were some other races going on, plus CSU's spring break). Maybe the pace was more consistent than usual or just the warm weather made me happy, but I felt amazing the bike and was able to heavily participate in this "race ride." Somehow, I ended up completing the hilly 87 mile ride in just over 4 hours. No other women were on the Oval Ride which is pretty normal, but it was fun to feel good and be able to put the hurt on the guys.

Sunday was also great training. I just rode up Rist Canyon to try to avoid some of the crazy wind we had but ended up with quite the heavy winds coming home around through Masonville. You can't really complain though when you get to coast the final 5 miles home going 30 mph due to a big tailwind :)

If you look closely, you can see the white caps on Horsetooth Reservoir. It was THAT windy.

This week is pretty normal training with more race intervals, except I get to do them outside due to the time change. We all know this girl needs her Vitamin D. 'Nuf said. This weekend I'll be heading to Grand Junction, Colorado, to ride and help out the CSU collegiate team with the collegiate race there. I haven't been out there before, so the change of scene will be nice, plus it should be almost 80 degrees there!

No comments:

Post a Comment