Sunday, April 7, 2013

Podium at Hell of the North

Made it out to the first local race of the year here in SLC.  With the rain Friday and then the quick transition back to dry weather, the dirt road was in perfect condition yesterday.  Literally perfect.  Perhaps in better condition than some of the pavement sections on the course.  :)

Our small field packed a punch with several strong local racers as well as some of the professional variety, all positive and aggressive competitors.  Love that combination.  Needless to say the race was super fun.  About 5 miles into the race, friend and former teammate Tiffany Pezzulo attacked and I countered.  I found myself with a good gap, by myself, and not freaking out!  Unlike Whitney, I'm not too keen on being off the front by myself.  Perfectly happy to chill in the pack and duke it out in a sprint.  I guess Whitney and I are rubbing off on each other, she's winning field sprints and I'm getting into solo breaks. Yep, so solo break.  For about 15 miles.  It was neat!  Especially when I had an "Ah-ha" moment and realized I recognized the uncomfortable feeling I was experiencing and thought, "Oh!  This is like ski racing, I did this all winter, I can do this!"  Definite step forward for me and thank you skiing for nudging that progress along.

With 5 miles to go, Devon Gorry from NOW (also a former teammate from college), Cathy Kim from DNA Cyling, and Tiffany bridged up.  Tiffany kept putting in attack after attack which I was able to stay with...although I definitely felt it and was kinda hoping I might be able to just chill out for a little while.  Luckily it did ease up a bit and Devon and Cathy were able to rejoin.   Heading into the last 1K, Devon attacked.  Seemed like no one else wanted to go after her and was hoping the same thing I was... I'll just follow someone else's wheel up there?  Please?

 We were getting too close to the finish though, so I went and then attacked just as I was catching Devon hoping that I could put enough distance between me and everyone else, be first through the corner, and hold the gap to the finish.  Didn't quite work out as I hoped and Tiffany started to come around me about 200 meters to the line.   We were both mashing it out and I had nothing left in the legs and had to coast across the line while she totally crushed me in the sprint.  Super fun time and happy to be doing some new things in the racing department!

Hell of the North podium shot

No comments:

Post a Comment