Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Whitney 2nd at Weld County Road Race!

Last week the Front Range in Colorado was hit with a freakish 22 inches of snow in a couple of days. With a dirt road race on tap for that Saturday, I was a little worried that our race would resemble more of a cyclocross mud pit. Somehow, somehow, we were lucky enough to have two glorious days of sunshine that mostly dried up the course for what turned out to be a hard and fast day of racing!

The course was a solid 12-mile rolling loop in the middle of farmland in Johnstown, Colorado. With the P12 women and P12 35+ women combined, we had a pretty big 40 person field. I hung out in the back for most of the first lap to check out the course and the competition (Epic Fail: I totally didn't check out the course map beforehand so I had no clue where I was going). Just before we hit the dirt again, I put in a monster attack and never looked back until after the 1-mile dirt section (happy to say, my State Wheels were stellar in the dirt!).
The start of the break- going through the dirt
A couple miles later, we had the winning break...not without a lot of work though. With some pretty fast ladies not making that break, we had to work super hard over the next two laps to secure the break.

Photo by Dejan Smaic
With one very windy kilometer to go, Gwen (Kenda) and I sat on Angela (Primal)'s wheel watching each other. The remaining lady, Heather, was in the Master's category. Eventually Heather jumped then Gwen and I were side-by-side sprinting. I watched her just pull away. Eek! I finished second. It was such a fun day with great competitors and solid, hard racing. I'll get you next time, Gwen! :)


As I sit here typing this, it's 30 degrees and the ground is covered in snow from another freak snow storm. It's going to be weird to pack for hot Speedweek when we're still getting the fluffy white stuff :) I'm so ready to play crits this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment