Sunday, June 15, 2014

Air Force Cycling Classic

Had an awesome opportunity to race for Mellow Mushroom p/b Shady Grove Fertility Clinic at the Air Force Cycling Classic this past weekend!  Definitely an honor to guest-ride with Laura Van Gilder, Kristen LaSasso, Laura Jorgensen, and Meaghan Bryan and sport the specially-made Pactimo kit!  I really enjoyed being back in a team atmosphere. 



Clarendon Cup was awesome, loved the course, and it didn't hurt that I felt fairly good despite the full-on allergy attack I was experiencing since my arrival in Virginia.  Covered attacks, enjoyed the fun corners, and was psyched to help with a lead out for Laura in the final laps. 


However, my intention and my execution were two different things.  Kristen drilled it on the front with 2 to go and being on her wheel is no easy task.   Looking back at one point and seeing Tina on my wheel instead of Laura left me hesitating.  In the last lap or two of a crit, there's really no place for hesitation.  That combined with my screaming legs meant bad news bears for my contribution to the lead out.  Definitely made some mistakes, but took away a lot from the experience.  Laura finished 4th for the day and earned the Most Courageous Rider jersey. 


We enjoyed a relaxing afternoon with our awesome hosts the Robb family!  Their son Lawrence was pretty excited about my name- cats and cars being his two favorite things in the world.  It was pretty adorable. 


Thanks to Scott Kingsley for the photo!  Check out his other work at https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingsleyscott/
Sunday, we rode over to the race in Crystal City via bike path.  Sunday's race was a tough one, rough pavement, hard racing, and I was not feeling well and not able to contribute much.  I got popped in the last laps, but still enjoyed racing with those awesome women and was excited to see Laura up on the podium with 3rd for the day and 3rd overall. 

 
 
Huge thanks to the Air Force Cycling Classic, LVG, Kristen, Laura J, Meagan, the Robb Family and Julie Kuliecza and her folks for a great weekend of racing in VA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment