Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Prairie State Cycling Series Recap

Hello- SKINourishment p/b Paceline Projects had a successful last four days of NCC racing in Chicago!  I was joined last minute by guest-rider Vanessa Drigo from the Rose Bandits squad and was happy to have a teammate in the races sporting the team's sweet Pactimo Summit kits.

Vanessa Drigo on the attack
The NCC races began in Beverly, IL Thursday evening. Luckily, Steven and Jose from SRAM came to the rescue with a new shifter.  The race would have been challenging without the ability to change gears on this fun, but not at all flat, course.   Huge thank you to SRAM once again for saving the day!  The bike was ready to race with about 5 minutes to spare, so I was slightly frazzled in the heat, wanting to get water, and maybe a warm up lap of the course before the whistle went off.  Luckily, I had enough time to do both.  Vanessa was aggressive early in the race, winning a generous prime.  I was a bit more conservative working on getting into the groove of the field and taking the corners.  Maybe it was the couple days off the bike before the race.... maybe all the travel.... but I felt strange on the bike and not at all smooth.  People were aggressive, especially with all the primes being given out.  In the final laps, Kelly Fisher-Goodwin from Fearless Femme attacked and held it for the win.  In the last lap the rain started to come down which made for a sketchy downhill corner into the finish.   Folks went down, or off the road to avoid the pile-up.  I managed to narrowly get around the crash and sprinted to the line for 10th.   


Friday we traveled to Elmhurst for the second race of the series.  I don't remember much of the race besides suffering in the heat.  After going for a prime, Carrie Cash from Pepper Palace and I had a decent gap and worked to get a break going, but eventually we were caught.  I didn't have much left in the legs at that point and couldn't contest the sprint.  Rolled in at 20th.  Recovered well that night in my super fun fort the Chiang's set up for me and made s'mores with Amelia and Elise.

The race tent!
The sweetest ride
Saturday morning, the girls took their mini motorcycle out to motor pace me down the street to meet up with Laura Van Gilder and Sara Tussey for a nice spin before our evening race in Lake Bluff.  We got to cheer on Michael and Diego in their races and appreciated a dip in the temperature compared to the previous day.  When our race started, it was pretty aggressive from the get-go.  Also, a very fun course with lots of corners.  Both Vanessa and I won primes.  Unfortunately, we were both out of position when the winning break went.  I moved up when the split happened and tried to bridge by myself, but was too late.   So, we raced in what was left of the field and had a lot of fun with the course.  In the final laps Vanessa was awesome with a lead-out.  She's so strong and such a great bike handler... it was awesome to be on her wheel.  I overcooked the second to last super narrow corner and did some mild off-road action though.  I didn't loose a ton of speed so when I got back onto the pavement I just took off.  Super early.  Maybe from 700 plus meters out?  Early.  I held it until right before the line when Kelly from the Fearless Femmes passed me like I was standing still.  I came in 8th for the day and Vanessa 12th.

Race photos thanks to Michael!


Sunday, we were off to St. Charles for the last race of the series.  The course was interesting.  We crossed the water twice going over bridges, the start/finish was slightly downhill and not all straight, and in general the course was a bit windy and wide.  I went off the front after a prime and felt like I was blown backwards when I crossed the water heading onto the backside of the course.  I was relieved when I was joined by 3 others and then later on came a larger group.  Erica Allar (Care4Cycling) went by me, Laura (Mellow Mushroom) pulled through, and then I tried to pull after Laura, but could barely get around her.  The rest of the field followed soon after.  Despite more attacks, the field stayed together until the end.  Vanessa and I were game for another lead-out, but I lost her wheel and then we ended up on opposite sides of the field.  The last corner was slightly uphill into the wind and if there was a fast way through that corner, I certainly couldn't find it.  The sprint was further slowed down by an almost crash and seemed like I was starting the sprint from zero.  I finished 7th and Vanessa 8th for the day, and I ended up 8th overall.  Vanessa, Diego, and I ended the Chicago racing trip spending a nice evening with the Chiangs which included a concert by the girls.  Up early Monday to the airport-thankful to Diego for the lift so I could make my way home to UT.

Continually SO grateful for all the wonderful support I receive from sponsors, family, and friends. Pretty sure most made it in this shot from Elmhurst (Smith Optics, Road ID, Veloforma, Syntace, State Wheels, Gnar Lube, Pactimo, Prana, Outback Bikes, Honey Stinger, Arundel, Michelin, Bont)!  Note the absence of crazy tan lines thanks to SKINourishment's awesome sunscreen.  Arnicare kept my legs feeling good day after day.  Unofficial cupcake sponsor:  Pepper Palace Pro Cyclist Carrie Cash and Chris Roettger!  Last but not least, a HUGE thank you to the Chiang family for being so much fun, fueling us with Regina's amazing cooking, and cheering us on at the races.
Thankful for all the support! 












No comments:

Post a Comment