Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Colorado Win!

This past weekend was the first weekend of racing in Colorado...well, there was a time trial a couple weekends ago, but, no offense to time trials, I'm not counting it! Saturday was the Cobb Circuit Race, a speedy 8 miles loop Northeast of Fort Collins with a big 'ol hill top finish. Oh and a brain-rattling dirt section. It was chilly and wiiinnnddyyyyyy.

Right before the first time through the dirt section, I launched a super hard attack to separate myself and hopefully gain a huge gap through the dirt. By the end of the dirt section, Kimberly from Naked Juice was bridging close by and three others were bit back. By the time we reached the top o the hill the first time through, we were pretty much a group of five. The rest of the race was pretty uneventful as we put a lot of time in on the remainder of the shattered field. I tried unsuccessfully to get away on the last lap and ended up sprinting for third.
Pic from the circuit from http://deanwarrenphotography.com/ 
Sunday was the infamous Oval Crit at the CSU campus. The day was so gorgeous...until it was our turn to race at 4:45pm. Then it rained/snowed/hailed a bit and stayed cold. Annoying. Having consumed only the best pre-race nutrition of Choice City club sandwich and a killer homemade french press, I was feel rock solid. What our women's field lacked in numbers, made up for in depth with half of the field competing regularly on the national circuit. Thanks to Source Endurance our race started out with a first lap prime. Ouch! Gwen from Kenda launched an attack...I decided to try to bridge and sprint around but could quite catch her- bummer!

Focusing in on the whole patience thing and accepting I was at a disadvantage with the other single racers against Kenda's two super ladies, I focused in on the whole waiting thing and decided to go for the other two primes. After the second prime, which I won by attacking a half lap out, the lead group was whittled down to two Kenda, Vanderkitten, and myself. Kenda launched several attacks but nothing quite stuck as Vanderkitten and I weren't ready to be left behind. The third prime, I did the same, but attacked on the Oval and barely got the second Source Endurance prime on the line...the prime that also meant we were down to 5 laps to go.

Going for a prime  http://deanwarrenphotography.com/
 The primes had definitely boosted my confidence and I decided to try to contest the sprint (I lack confidence here). I entered the final 350m around the Oval dead last in our group of four and then hit the throttle full speed, coming around my competitors closely but with a lot of speed. I won the field sprint! A first. It sounds like I need to work on my sprinting and tactics more now :) Here's to a kicking start to the season!
Sprinting http://deanwarrenphotography.com/
Side note: my boyfriend, Zack (below with me), won the P1/2 race right after...we may or may not have a fun competition going!

No comments:

Post a Comment