Thursday, September 5, 2013

3rd Overall at Tour of Austin!

Success and lots of fun to wrap up the Tour of Austin!  Although I struggled with the heat (I'm still shocked at how all those fast TX women race their bikes all year long in those kinds of temperatures,) I had a blast racing this past weekend in Austin.


* I've been sent so many photos, I'm not sure where credit is do.  If these are yours, please tell me so I can give you credit!  

After racing at the Formula 1 track on Saturday and liberally applying SKINourishment's new crossFIXE MUSCLE Paste, I was ready to rock and roll on Sunday.  Even had my picture taken with Willie Nelson for good luck on our early morning spin in the "Live Music Capitol of the World."  

Sunday's race was at the Driveway and I went into the race looking to represent the sponsors well with a podium spot.  The race stayed together, even small moves were short lived.  After a 5th place finish the day before, I wanted to snag some of the points up for grabs to move up in the overall. At the mid-race points prime, Jen McRae attacked and I stayed on her wheel until the u-turn/chicane thing-a-ma-bob right before the start/finish straight.  We took different lines through the turn and I was able to come around Jen for the prime earning some points.  On the last lap, Jen Purcell went to the front and started the sprint pretty early as we came up over the hill.  I was on Jen McRae's wheel and we lost a bit of ground through the the u-turn.  I knew that Purcell was gone, but fought to come around McRae at the line earning a 2nd place podium spot and moving into first place overall.  Happy and a little beat!  Thankful the podium shot was in the shade.  :)  
Jen McRae, Jen Purcell, & Kat
Racing in the late afternoon on Sunday with an early start on Monday was a bit of a quick turn around.  What probably would have been do-able in reasonable temperatures, was exhausting in the triple digits.  With 4 other women within 1 point of the lead, I had my work cut out for me to keep the overall. Boy did they put me to work.  The race was pretty aggressive and it seemed like I had to be covering everything.  After following move after move, I was getting tired.  I couldn't come around anyone for the points prime, so knew that my body was not thrilled.  I was having a harder time recovering than usual.  Late in the race, I had just came back from covering a move when Mini Pizzini attacked again.  A number of riders followed, including Jen McRae who bridged up to their break.  I looked at Mandy Heintz (also in contention for the overall) and her couple teammates to help, but nada.  Crickets.  I tried a couple times to bridge up, but they wouldn't let me get anywhere.  In the last laps, I worked on the front knowing that was the only chance I had.  And a small one at that.  Without any help, it wasn't happening and I knew I had lost the overall.   I won the field sprint, so still earned some points to secure a podium spot for the weekend.  I was a little disappointed, wondering if I could have done anything differently.  As my new trophy states though, "Aye, third be good too."  All in all, it was a great trip.  Good racing, great people, and good times.  

Ice monster

The Overall: Jen, Mini & Kat 

That's right... Pirate trophies

I gigantic thank you goes out to Polly & the SKINourishment crew (Paul, the kids, Ryan, & Cristi) for their fun vibes and cheering all weekend!  Oh and airport runs! ;) Also, to Andrew Willis of Holland Racing and all the volunteers and sponsors who put on such a top-notch event.  Last, but certainly not least, Kim Ciolli for hosting me.  What an awesome person.  I had an absolute blast getting to know her and her crew.    

Kat & Kim (Addison and Ken not pictured...but helped with the pizza...maybe...)

No comments:

Post a Comment