Wednesday, May 1, 2013

2013 Speedweek: Day 3- Coastal Empire Cycle Fest & A PODIUM!

Our morning started out with a 10am hour-long ride with our host Rocky who showed us around his neighborhood including the local alligators. Definitely squeal-worthy.  Thanks for the ride, Rocky! After a quite tasty lunch of paninis it was already time to hit the road to Tybee Island just outside of Savannah for the Coastal Empire Cycle Fest.
I spy an alligator!

Beaufort

Kat & Rocky

In the Outback Bikes van I admitted to Kat that today I was feeling sassy. But not so sassy when going over the huge bridge to Savannah.

We arrived at the course pretty early and enjoyed a pretty leisurely time before the race getting checked in, getting bikes checked, get kitted up in Pactimo speed jerseys and chaimois butter and sunscreened up with our title sponsor's amazing goodies, looking at the course and getting ready to race. Oh and I totally chugged a cold coffee right before...and candy. Yes. The course was crazy narrow with some pretty sketchy turns (dips, manhole covers, etc). We started in the back unfortunately and I spent the first 10 laps moving to the front group to stay safe. The second I was able to get up there, I attacked and snagged up two primes while away. Whew. That was tough. Unfortunately, the course was not as suited to Kat and she was pulled when the tiniest gap opened up...boo!! But the Walterboro course for Wednesday night looks great for her mean sprint! 

With ten to go, there was a tiny lull so I took that risk and jumped. Laura Brown of Colavita and Erin Silliman of Fearless Femme went with. We gunned it and maintained that gap. I snagged up another prime, some points, and a gambler's prime. I should have attacked the break but instead I lost out of the break for 3rd. Sounds like a good growing opportunity for me to work on but it was really great to get what is probably the biggest result yet for me. I have to admit, we have the sweetest equipment set up- the combo of the crit master ninja Veloforma, the aero but durable State Wheels, super stiff Syntace bars, and the sticky Michelin Pro 4s made for one sick machine to be off the front with. 

The finish


Yep- total goober interview post race but check out the sweet Pactimo Speed Jersey


Podium


After waiting around for the podium after the men's race, Kat and I darted to the low-tide Atlantic ocean to dip our feet in. So worth it. Joan and Rocky were wonderful and greeted us at "home" in Beaufort with some pretty fancy pizza to round out the long but awesome journey for the day.
Day time ocean view when we started racing

Post race running towards the ocean

4 comments: